Edward Rochester must be one of the most intriguing love interests I've ever read. He's so playful--almost fierce in his games. At one time he pretends to be a gypsie only to relish in confounding those he knows.His dialogue? Terrific; the best part of the book. Where dear Charlotte Bronte wrote pages and pages of sweet narrative and setting (with skill! and finesse!) I scurried on to find Mr. Rochester's often vexing, piercing words.
I've been a bit disappointed in the love interests I've read as of late. (Though not in my true love interest. Grayman, have no fear!) But with Mr. Rochester lies a character with spirit and soul and grit.
And now I must see the new Jane Eyre film. Anyone had the chance? I only watched part of the Timothy Dalton one many years ago. This one looks like a visual feast.
I love Jane Eyre. I dragged Brandon to the movie theater to see a version when we were dating in high school. I can't wait to see this one.
ReplyDeleteThe new one looks awesome! I'm such a nerd and have watched the trailer a kazillion times, but sadly our theater isn't showing it! :-(
ReplyDeleteJane Eyre is by far my all-time favorite novel. I just LOVE the characters. Can you tell I love Jane Eyre?
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete(I goofed above)
ReplyDeleteThis looks and sounds wonderful. The photo is a visual feast in itself. I want to see the movie now, and read Jane Eyre. I'm ashamed to say I have never read it.
I'm re-discovering W. Somerset Maugham. My daughter loaned me his book The Painted Veil. (I read Of Human Bondage when I was 18.) It's amazing how he gets in the mind and feelings of a woman. I think you would like it! I'd love to know if you do!!!
If you go into my post today, there's a link to Stephen Tremp (author of Breakthrough). He's hosting me today. This is quite fun! I'll be so happy when YOU get to this point, too!!!
Congratulations and welcome to Team Rochester! ;) The photos above are not from the new movie, but from the most recent TV adaptation, which came out in 2006. :) Sources say it's better than the new movie, though, as the new movie is a bit too rushed.
ReplyDeleteTracy, way to drag Brandon to Jane Eyre. You're a good woman. :)
ReplyDeleteNicole, I kept thinking about you while reading this book. I remembered it was your favorite from eighth grade. You have great taste!!
Ann, I watched The Painted Veil several months back and thought it incredible. Congrats on getting hosted by Stephen Tremp. I'll have to check his site out!
Traxy, I somewhat feared I used the wrong pics. :( But that's good to know this 2006 version was good. Maybe I'll have to find that one; I can't find the newest one playing anywhere near me.
Mary: I think now I remember you said this about The Painted Veil, which is how I heard about it and then mentioned it to my daughter. Yay!
ReplyDeleteI love Jane Eyre, a must reread every year or so. I haven't seen the new movie, but my favorite film adaptation is the 1997 one with Cairn Hinds as Mr. Rochester- brilliant performance. He also did an excellent job in the 1995 adaptation of Jane Austins Persuasion.
ReplyDeletehttp://nicolemariewhite.blogspot.com/
I love Jane Eyre! It's definitely in my top 5 favorites ever. I need to read it again soon. The version of the movie above is excellent! But I will go see the new one if it comes here!
ReplyDeleteI saw it last week and I'm going again tonight with my daughters. It was great!
ReplyDeleteI love this 2006 BBC adaptation. It is definitely my favourite one and Toby Stephens is such an intriguing Mr Rochester! Anyhow, I'm really curious to see the new film. I don't think it is going to be released here in Italy but I'll get the DVD as soon as it is out. Thanks for this "Brontenesque" posting, Mary!
ReplyDeleteIt came and went through the theater that I haven't seen it yet. Waiting for the DVD.
ReplyDelete