Lately, I've seen myself struggling to know how to feel about my two main manuscripts--the one my agent has, and my current work in progress. Which one do I love more? Which should I obsess over today? If I obsess over characters in Manuscript B, won't the characters in Manuscript A lash out? I need to immerse myself in one of these worlds, but it's impossible, I think, to obsess over both.
But something occurred to me last night while I was contemplating my current work in progress and felt a pang of regret for abandoning my other work: my manuscripts are like my children, I can love them both 100%, 100% of the time!
Now, this may seem obvious to most of you; as I write this, it seems obvious to me. But I suppose while pitching Manuscript A, then turning it over to my agent, I've grown accustomed to obsessing over every bump in the road, who and what and why and when, everything that happens to my manuscript. The same can be said for my oldest child. Raising him has required more work than any of my children. I obsess over his draining yet incredible personality, obsess when I've left him to his own devices, and then I think, you know what, it's okay! I love him, I help him, and I love and help my other two children. I CAN LOVE THEM ALL.
So I'm going to continue working on my current work in progress, and whenever Manuscript A needs me, I will gladly offer my assistance, because there's enough room in my heart for both.
Thank you so much for this post!!
ReplyDeleteHehehe. No problem. :)
ReplyDeletelove this!!! I can't wait to read your new book! I also can't wait to read your first finished book!!! You inspire me! :)
ReplyDeleteAwwwww. Thanks, Summer. I'm not sure how inspiring I am, but I'm keeping my head above the sand.
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of inspiring, YOU are looking skinny. And your baby is still so tiny. *whine* :)
This is so true. I find myself comparing my writing to my children quite often, and the books I read to my food.
ReplyDeleteHa, I like the food and book comparison. I think I remember you doing that on your blog.
ReplyDeleteI've been feeling this way about a project I've been querying and and my current work in progress as well. I wonder--do I only have time for one or the other? With school, internships, and part-time job yeah it's tough. Thanks :) This post helps.
ReplyDeleteIt's interesting for me to think about YOUR busy life. We all have different types of busyness and it's been a long time since I've been in school and worked. Good luck with your querying!! And thanks for stopping by.
ReplyDelete