Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Listening

I play the piano; I took classical lessons for ten years, and while I use the majority of my free time on my writing, I can't help comparing the two. My dad used to point out that I had the ability to listen while I played and making it pleasing for the audience (I have my musical faults, but I hope this is true). So I've realized there's a type of listening while we write, too. We slash out our firsts drafts, then go back and listen how our writing might hit our readers. Right now I'm focusing on voice. I'll write a sentence a certain way, then go back and see that my protagonist would never use such words. So I try again, and again until I get it to sound as authentic for them as I can. I'm listening to the writing--the flow, the voice, the pacing, the plotting--and striving to make the story, the writing pleasing for the reader, too.

It's a hard goal to achieve. Do you know of a writer who does just this? Weaves his/her story so perfectly, as if they know what the reader needs? I thought Michelle Hodkin in The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer did this exceptionally well, especially for a debut.

5 comments:

  1. Simply stated, but very profound. Nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Krista. It's hard to know if things only make sense in my own head. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary :) Thanks for the lovely comment on my post.

      I think weaving all the story elements together takes a lot of patience, drive, desire, and did I mention patience? I think those who do it beautifully are the ones who've been slaving over each detail :) I think it's something that takes time and many drafts to master.

      Delete
  3. It's not often I come across a book that feels quite perfect, but Between Shade of Grey was pretty amazing like that.

    I like the comparison. I'm not a piano player, but my daughter is, and it seems to me she does this. I know I do with my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Elizabeth. Time and patience and time and patience. And desire and drive. Oh to have it all.

    Carolna, I read Between Shades of Gray. I really liked the insight into WWII in Russia. Such a sad, incredible story. The writing wasn't my favorite, but I was so glad to read the book.

    ReplyDelete