While hashing out scenes in my current work in progress, I've been remembering writing advise from Robert McKee in STORY, an incredible book on screenwriting. McKee says for a scene to work, we need to change a value, from positive to negative, or vice-versa, or show an increase or decrease in the intensity of the value.For instance, if a character is angry, she'll either need to A) grow happy or B) grow less or more angry (if that is the point of the scene). If a character is hungry, he'll need to A) eat or B) become less or more hungry (again, if that is the point of the scene).
In my writing, I've noticed when a scene falls flat, I'm often forgetting to change the value, and once I identify this problem, I can establish the purpose of the scene. Often times while writing first drafts I'll mostly be brainstorming, and when I go back and see nothing has changed, I can ask myself, "What is the point? What does my character want? Now, how can I make it easier or harder for her?"
So I challenge each of us to change the values in our scenes OR, if we're not writers, identify the changed value in a story we're reading and decide how the change strengthened the book as a whole. Stories should be about progression--whether for the better or the worse.
And that is all. Thanks for considering!
*Buries head in manuscript*
Exactly. Excellent explanation.
ReplyDeleteI need to finish reading that book. I haven't got to the scene part yet. However, I found Scene and Structure by Jack Bickham brilliant. I'm currently revising my manuscript with his formulas for scene and sequel. It's been eye-opening. I found I don't write sequels. No wonder my beta readers kept telling me they wanted to be in my character's head more!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Carol.
ReplyDeleteKate, I haven't read Jack Bickham's book; I shall have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!
Hi, Mary. Thanks for complimenting the look and feel of my blog. I want it, as well as my home, to feel like the "Nauvoo House." A peaceful place; a haven.
ReplyDeleteThe scene is central. And the conflict within the scene. I read somewhere when I was blogging one day that we should always ask: Why am I telling/showing you this? Why am I telling/showing you this NOW? You ask this for every scene!
I hope it won't be too long before I'll be reviewing YOUR first book!
Happy Valentine's Day! I'm sure Brian and Aidan will love the day. Children do. I did when I was their age! Those days when my siblings and I and our friends went out in the evening delivering valentines from door to door in our neighborhood, after a fun day at school. Times have SO sadly changed. It isn't safe for children to go out and do this anymore.
Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror & Other Memoirs
Luckily, we have made friends with a couple of neighbors, so I plan on delivering some valentines to them, but you're right, I can't turn the kiddos loose on the neighborhood alone.
ReplyDeleteWe're teaching the kids about money, so they're getting piggy banks for valentines day this year.
Oh - I'm so glad i came over here from Ann Best's blog - I was just about to go looking for a good book on screenwriting. What you describe reminds me of how my husband - he's an artist - approaches a painting. Changes in values from dark to light. I've thought of it in terms of knowing what my character wants, and then making it hard for him to get it, and then harder, and then when I think it's hard enough - just a bit harder! But I hadn't thought of it in terms of the value change. Please to make your acquaintance.
ReplyDeleteMelissa, thanks for stopping by! I like the painting analogy. It makes me wish I painted. :)
ReplyDeleteThis is such a great way of thinking about how to deal with "flat" scenes. Thanks for the tip!
ReplyDeleteI love that book.
ReplyDeleteYou are so wise. Like a miniature buddha, covered in hair...
ReplyDeletelol, Cammie you made my afternoon.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Lydia! And Liesl, yeah, it's pretty much amazing.
This looks like something I need to read. Thanks for posting!
ReplyDeleteI'll add this to the list. Thanks for the heads up. :)
ReplyDeleteI haven't seen you around in a while. Good to have you back! Have you been to any conferences lately?
No, not since last year. I attended the Dallas Fort Worth conference right before I had my baby since we now live in Texas. I would love to go to the Storymakers conference this spring, but doubt I'll be able to make it. Will you be there?
ReplyDeleteThis is great advice. I'm thinking about getting this book now! Thanks for coming by my blog!
ReplyDeleteNp, Aubrie. Your posts are always so sweet.
ReplyDelete