I just finished Downton Abbey's season two finale. If you plan on watching it still, you may not want to read this post. But I was struck by how real the romance feels between Matthew and Mary, and I've come up with two reasons:1. They apologize for their mistakes. At the end, Matthew tells Mary he was wrong about Lavinia forever keeping them apart. I was so mad at him for saying they were cursed to never be together, but then he comes around and realizes his mistake. I love it when writers give characters flaws, but helps us forgive them by having them apologize for these mistakes.
2. The romance isn't perfect the first time. Mary doesn't accept his initial proposal, and I don't mean at the beginning of the show, but at the end of this episode she made him properly ask her. She is, after all, the most proper of women, and just because the writers know we're all ready for them to be engaged, they have him ask her first in his non-gallant way, then she corrects him and he obliges, and then *bliss.*
I'm proud to say I watched the first season on Netflix a very long time ago before the show even began to trend on twitter. So, yay! Now everyone's chattering about it, and I think one of the biggest reasons is because of how the characters change--because of the war and because of their own personal challenges. Two thumbs up!
Why else do you think the romance works in Downton Abbey? Mary and Matthew have had so many other obstacles, as have Bates and Anna. I'm ready for Lord Grantham to woo Lady Crawley again.
I could also do a post about the antagonistic forces in this show. *cough, cough* Thomas. *cough, cough* I can't stand him!
I keep hearing raves about Downtown Abby. I might need to get into this show... of course when I can make time too. My spare moments are showers, eating, and trying to keep some clean dishes in the house these days. lol
ReplyDeleteI think you might have been the one to tell me about the first season! I watched it a long time ago when we were exchanging all our "period pieces" lists. We just finished season two as well and I am in love with the show. It's so beautifully done.
ReplyDeleteSummer, all I can say is: I KNOW!!
ReplyDeleteShalane, yes! Adam said you were raving about this.
I haven't watched it yet, so I skipped most of the post - BUT, you're one of many who have recommended it, so I'll have to give it a try!
ReplyDeleteI just found season 1 on Netflix and am enjoying it. Like Ishta, I had to skip most of your post. I hate spoilers. Although I did read your last two lines and completely agree.
ReplyDeleteI love this show so much! I having finished all the episodes and now I feel as if there is a hole in me! I am so addicted. I love to be transformed to this time period!
ReplyDelete