Thursday, March 22, 2012

Dracula Quotes

When my sister and brother-in-law learned I'd written a manuscript with elements of horror, they got me their favorite horror book: Dracula. This was perfect, because I hadn't read the book yet, and the beautiful copy they gave me has this gorgeous red hard cover and dramatic writing. I keep it on display on the top of my waist-high book shelf--when I'm not reading it, anyway. I'm about 5/8ths of the way through this tome and cannot get over how Bram Stoker was not only a pioneer but a god in his time. To think of how shocking this storyline must have been for the readership in the 1890s. The vampire phenomenon is handled so perfectly, with an eeriness yet accessible story-line and characters to those who might be skittish. I'm so grateful to have my own copy and must share just four of Stoker's infinite list of remarkable quotes:

"Despair has its own calms."

"There is a reason why all things are as they are."

“With his long sharp nails he opened a vein in his breast. When the blood began to spurt out, he took my hands in one of his, holding them tight and with the other ceased my neck and pressed my mouth to the wound so that I must either suffocate or swallow...
Some of the...Oh my god…my god
What have I done?” (Haven't read this one, but can't wait.)

"I have always thought that a wild animal never looks so well as when some obstacle of pronounced durability is between us. A personal experience has intensified rather than diminished that idea."

Plus, I love Bram Stoker's name. I wish it were mine. Has anyone seen a film adaptation that they enjoyed?

6 comments:

  1. My favorite quote: "I want you to believe."
    "To believe what?"
    "To believe in things that you cannot."

    SO glad you are liking it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to borrow it sometime when you are done. If you think I will like it! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I almost included that one, Jen!!

    Summer, totally. It's big, but so worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a play adaptation, but didn't like it at all - we actaully left early. I should give the book a try. :)

    I hope you are doing well! Any writers conferences this year?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just saw Jane Eyre... not really Dracula though had some dracula-ish moments with the "wife"...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite book of all time, just read it last year for the first time. Fantastic book :)

    ReplyDelete