Sunday, March 18, 2012

A bit o' Bromance in The Vampire Diaries

I can't help it. I'm going to post about Vampire Diaries again. I just watched the latest episode where we learn Alaric is really the one killing founding family members all because of the ring that lets him cheat death is now making him crazy. Such a good episode! But then again, all the Vampire Diaries episodes are excellent. A twitter pal, @han_liz, warned me this episode rocked because of the bromance. And, of course, @han_liz was right. So I watched this episode and tried to analyze just why the bromance works, which is actually quite difficult, because I usually get so swept up in the story that I forget to pick it apart (like I do with so many other shows).

But why did the bromance work in this particular episode? Well, Damon was there to teach his brother, Stefan, moderation. Stefan is the all or nothing type of personality--he thinks if he drinks one drop of human blood, he'll become the most lethal/horrific vampire around (which he often does). Stefan shrugs off Damon's offer to help, says that he's not worth saving because of all he has done. But Damon is determined to help Stefan, and Stefan eventually comes around to the idea and decides to work with Damon to solve the latest Mystic Falls mystery: who is killing the founding families. (Alaric. Eek!) But Damon's original offer to help his brother is such a "that's what friends do" tactic, but it's also so much more than that. It feels deeper because the brothers have been alive for hundreds of years, and have experienced so much--so many ups and downs--that it's no wonder that vampires have been such beloved characters to read/watch/write.

Anyway, I've just written this as it's come to me, and I suppose I'm simply realizing the layer of complexity the bromance adds. The Vampire Diaries is not just a love story between Damon and Elana and Stefan and Elana, but also a story of the love between brothers who offer the greatest helps to each other as friends and have lived so many years to continue the pattern over and over.

I love this show.

6 comments:

  1. LOL YES! This post just made my night. :) Thanks for blogging about this. I agree that what makes the bromance (and other relationships that the vampires have, ie: the Originals) work is because of how complex it is. The romantic relationships between Elena and the brothers are actually not one of my favorite things about this show. What I love more are the other characters and their stories/relationships. The show has such great writing and characters and yes, we've talked about this already. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I am totally with you with the Originals. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great! I love how the characters and relationships are CONSTANTLY changing. Nothing is ever stagnant. It's so realistic to me. Thanks for writing that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Cam. I know you appreciate #TVD. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also loved the turn in the story that Alaric, someone whom we have grown to love so much, has a bad streak, it is awesome to have this surprising twist. I still thought the lady doctor was evil until he really hurt her. I love it when they have to convince me to believe one way or another.

    ReplyDelete