Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sleep or Story?

You know you've found your passion when it wins over sleep. I've been dragging. Badly. Very little sleep the past few nights. Then preschool this morning, tended four children. And now my daughter is finally sleeping and my son is playing here with a friend. I know I need a nap, but I couldn't help whipping out the laptop. I visited a few blogs, will now open my latest book, and look forward to writing again (maybe tonight... I'm struggling with what to do next...)

What is your passion?? Is it all things fiction related? Or are you more well-rounded than I?

11 comments:

  1. My passion? My family and writing. I love to read also. Horseback riding is also a fav. pasttime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been getting much sleep lately either all three of my kids are taking perfectly timed turns of being sick and staying up.

    I have been turning all my passions for the most part-toward my fiction, wife and kids not completely excepted-they are surreptitiously mentioned within Heroes of the Fallen.

    I'd like to think I am well rounded but everything I see and hear and read and smell comes back around again to be used for fiction. I actually opened my presentation at the Book of Mormon conference with something like-"I write fiction which we all know is lies, but as the bard said-good fiction is the truth behind the lies,"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Horseback riding. Now doesn't that sound romantic? Do you own a horse, L.T?

    I like your quote, David. SO true. If only some people knew I'd based characters off of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My passions? I don't know if I get passions, just obsessions. I start a book and I can't set it down until I am done. I start blogging, and I am on for hours then thinking about it when I'm elsewhere. I start a conversation and just want to hang out forever talking about nothing. I hide in my room, then I never want to come out. Do I sound crazy enough yet? I don't think I have any balance in my life.

    I guess my family is my passion, but I don't feel so much passion as I do a sense of peace and comfort and love. Is that passion?

    Maybe I misunderstood the question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will the people IF they recognize themselves be upset?

    I have a couple stories I want to do but plan on making them as illegible as possible to reality but then is it even the same story? Thats where I am trying to figure out how to tell them without anyone feeling hurt-not that they don't know but perhaps they don't want to relive it in print.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Twizzlers and chocolate-covered cinnamon bears. And my husband. And the kids. No, wait... yes, and the writing thing.
    Do you talk about your characters like they are real? As in, "Oh, yes, Jill just said that exact thing to me the other day." Or, "This is Scott's ringtone."
    Is that what you are talking about? Or do I need help? At least my husband is still smiling.
    I also love to travel. Real travel, not imaginary. So I can write about my travels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Krista, I'm a freak. I hate traveling!! I always just prefer to be a couch potato in my cave of unreality!

    The other day my husband said something someone did was super weird, and I said, "Oh, no! Basil does that all the time!" (Basil is my favorite character I've created.)

    David, I created a bad guy from this guy that used to be in my ward. I have NO plans for telling him!!

    L, people are much more interesting when they get into things--and thus sucked in. Of course you understood the question, dab-nab-it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think sleep is my biggest passion. I'm such a grouch if I don't get my full eight hours!

    The only things that ever keep me from sleep are a good novel (and recently not even that) and talking with Craig. Talking with Craig always wins out, but fortunately, he gets up earlier than I do, so he usually has the willpower to end conversations before it gets too late. It was harder this summer when he didn't have that motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was an awesomely short blog post. How do you do it? Most of the comments were longer than the post. (Except this one.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like I said, Karen, Homer Simpson to Einstein. :)

    Alanna, Craig is lucky to have a girl who loves to talk to him so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, and you're lucky to have him. Err, I mean what I'm saying in the best of ways... removing foot from mouth now.

    ReplyDelete