Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Review: THE MAZE RUNNER by James Dashner

After seeing a few people rave about this book online, I took the plunge and bought a copy for myself. The premise is my favorite type—a boy finds himself in a community of other boys without a memory, without adults, and without protection against some of the most horror inducing creatures one could imagine. The journey through the book was also truly a delight. The characters’ inventive slang had me chuckling and wishing I could chat right back at the boys.


I also loved the mystery of the story. It was so fun to try to guess why the boys were trapped in their world and how they would figure out how to leave. Their dialogue felt true to the age yet likable, even relatable. It’s the first time in my life where I almost wished to be a teenage boy.


I keep trying to think of something I didn't like about the book, but I can't! Dashner is a marvelous storyteller--this is another clean, fun, and suspenseful read. I will be looking for his 13th Realitity series and book #2.


Oh, and last but not least, another book with a great cover.


Friday is the last day if you want to enter for a chance to win North and South. See previous post for details.

13 comments:

  1. So interesting! This novel reminds me of William Golding's "The Lord of The Flies", have you read it? It is rather bitter and depressing, very pessimistic about human beings, but so well written. But it is not a mystery story. Your review reminds me of those children wrecked on a desert island after a plane crash. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lord of the Flies is on my to read list. So much reading to accomplish, so little time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put this on my to read list and now I'm going to up the ante. It sounds just like my kind of read. (Lost Boys is my favorite Orson Scott Card book.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an interesting book. Although I like books with female protags, I just might go out on a limb with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, yeah male BOY was different for me too. But I am so glad I read this. Absolutely loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks good. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I'm a big fan of the Dash-man. I still love his Jimmy Fincher Saga and the 13th Reality Series is fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neat blog, taking time now to read everything

    ReplyDelete
  9. LT, I'm stoked to join the Dashner appreciaters. :)

    Avalon, goodness, don't read everything! It's probably not worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read Maze Runner and loved it. Highly recommend it. I didn't really enjoy 13th Reality. Maybe you will.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I added your link to my blog, thanks for adding mine. Take care and have a good night.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ha ha so far it has been worth it

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need your e-mail address ... can you write me at tristipinkston AT gmail.com

    ReplyDelete