Sunday, April 11, 2010

Happiness in Manassas? ???

Three years ago I wanted to move. Outta Manassas, away from my kid-stifling apartment. And I knew just where I wanted to go. The plan was for my husband to take this first, great job, then transfer to Texas.

If any of you knew me then, you'd agree I was friendly enough, but had a bad attitude about our situation. We belonged in Texas. Family would be (much) closer and finances would be (much) better.

Then my husband and I locked horns. We prayed about staying or leaving, and I had my answer and so did he. We should move! I was convinced. But Adam (in all of his annoying spirituality) just knew we should stay. And I hated him for it. Months dragged on in disagreement. We were barely scraping by, my son didn't have a yard to play in, and I was pregnant with my second and hated the thought of staying in our lousy apartment in lousy Manassas for who knew how long.

*Important note: those of you who have read an earlier post regarding my childhood and how my family did not have the ability to stick in one place longer than a year will understand my natural instinct. Read previous post HERE.

Anyway. This isn't a blog about religion or for me to vent all my crazy emotional experiences or for me to rave about my family, but some of these elements come together to explain where I am now with writing. So be patient. :)

So Adam and I did the one thing we do when we're not in agreement. We attended the temple, and we prayed. We really prayed. And somehow my heart changed. It didn't make sense, logically, for us to stay. We couldn't afford it, I thought family was more important and we should be closer to them. And if Adam could transfer, his job would be just as good. But, of course, someone else knew better. I didn't know why, but the answer was for us to stay. And my fight deflated.

So then in my emptiness, I needed something else to obsess over. I could no longer dream with my brother of the homes we could buy, the opportunities that awaited us in Texas. The fun we could have. My brother's family, two sisters' families, and soon my parents ALL lived in Texas. But since THAT wasn't to be my life, I sat around and dreamt of a fantasy world I'd begun years before putting together.

I'd play with my children, dream of this world, take notes, dream and collaborate with my husband. I was coming up with a story that really held my interest--and his as well--and I didn't want to ruin it. Ethos. Logos. Pathos. They were all powers held by characters but I didn't know their story at first. In the beginning--way before ANYTHING took form--my husband explained to his co-worker what I was trying to achieve and his co-worked looked at him and said, "Oh you mean like Charmed?" NO. NO. NO NO NO NO NO. That was not where I was going.

So I daydreamed some more. Created a romance. Wrote about my characters in a setting still close by but still outside of Manassas. The characters lived in Fairfax and certain scenes occurred in Washington, D.C.

Nine months later, I had a manuscript and I wanted to shout from the rooftops that I had an idea for a story that I hadn't seen anywhere before. Aristotle's ethos, logos, and pathos had become super powers and my characters had them.

Of course, I eventually found WiDo and they are helping me tell the very story I meant to tell all along, and it's going to be awesome and I love it, but the point of this post??? Let me tell you.

I had a trial. I wanted to move, and we couldn't. God knew I wanted it. I hadn't wanted something this badly, that I couldn't have, in a very long time, if ever. But my Heavenly Father knew I would find something infinitely better:

I would find myself.

I wouldn't trade this discovery of story-telling--writing--for any silly move. Of course, I still want to be near family, but that can always happen later. I get just a little bit freaked out thinking I may never have turned to writing had we moved like I wanted.

So I am SO GRATEUL someone didn't give me what I wanted. He gave me something better. I pretty much love his gift.

18 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift!! I just read this out loud to Jen, and she almost started crying. She knows how close we can get to Heavenly Father through prayer. And if you had moved, yes, you would have probably been so involved with family (they CAN come later), you mostly likely wouldn't have written the novel that we're all excited to read. And if you had moved, Jen and I wouldn't have really met you. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to share this wonderful story. I'll go into the link and read your earlier one when I figure out something I've messed up on my blog!! Can't figure out some settings, which probably means I should have gone to church and not spent so much time on blogging. But Jen and I both woke up not feeling too great. Mostly Jen not great. She says her whole body hurts. I personally think it's the weather. The temps keep going up and down. Hope YOU'RE having a lovely day with your little family that we're anxious to meet some day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story! I LOVE it. It have a similar one and it will forever blow me away. I know. I know it, too. He knows what's in store. Silly us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean "I" have a similar one.
    Silly me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, beautiful story. Mysterious ways indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann, good for you picking up this blogging. You're learning it as fast as I did. And I'm glad Jen liked my story. I didn't want it to be boring.

    Krista, now I want to hear YOUR story.

    Sarahjayne, I fear it was on the long side, but it was nice to get off of my chest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just read your comment above and you should know that this post is ANYTHING but boring! I'm so glad you were given exactly what you needed. Finding yourself...it's one of the most profound and complicated things and yet when you discover where you settle, it feels like everything else is manageable. For me, at least. I'm so happy for you, Mary. What a beautiful story. What a GREAT blessing!

    p.s. Love your new profile pic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how it rhymes. Happiness in Mannasses. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you weren't bored, LT. Glad you understand, too. :)

    Karen, I didn't even realize that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful story! (And nice picture by the way. You're so pretty) Writing is that "something better" for me, too. And you answered my question about your blog title. All in one post. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha. Glad to answer it, Aubrie. And thanks for the compliment on the pic. It was nice to have a friend who could make me look halfway human.

    ReplyDelete
  11. IT was great to hear the behind the scenes process of how you became M. Gray. You are one of those women that I am so grateful to have in my life. I am so glad that you stayed.(We prayed for you to stay too, heeheh JK.) I have loved watching you change and seeing you gain more confidence in yourself, it has been so inspiring. When I grow up I want to be just like you, well maybe not find that same gift but find my own gift.:)

    Great profile foto!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please Delilas. I'm half the woman you are. And I'm NOT speaking size!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. p.s. to my first comment. I've redesigned my site. Rather, I got a new template that now has a pale green background because I realized the other "blue" one didn't cover the full screen. So JEN is happier. I think I'm now using the one Karen uses, and I like it better too. But, I've been on the computer FAR too long today. So I'm signing off and will talk to you later.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I suppose green will do. It's my second favorite color, so I will allow it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I for one am glad that you stuck around.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this story. Truly. I think one of the hardest things to do is to trust in something outside of ourselves. It's just so painful to listen, to HEAR, especially when we truly want something other than what we're hearing. But what an amazing thing to find yourself. I look forward to seeing your book in print.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It must've been so hard to lock horns like that. I'm glad it worked out for you.

    My family is at a similar crossroads - squeezed into a two-bedroom condo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Theresa, it is SO hard to live like that--especially with kids. I hope you can work something out. We've been in our house a year now and we're so much happier.

    ReplyDelete